Recently a patient asked what could help their recurring urinary tract infections aside from tried and true cranberry juice. There are several supplements that can help treat or prevent this condition.
1. Cranberry Juice – The “no sugar added” not from concentrate brands are recommended. Also cranberry extract capsules may be more convenient and less costly.
2. D-mannose – It’s a natural sugar that prevents bacteria from sticking to your urinary tract lining. It usually comes in a powder form.
3. Saw Palmetto – Extract from a type of palm tree that has shown some benefit for the urinary tract as well as the prostate and perhaps even sore throat, cough, insomnia, and hair loss.
4. Probiotics – Good beneficial bacteria.
5. Oregano Oil – Fights E. coli a type of bacteria often found in urinary tract infections.
6. Allicidin (Garlic) – Another anti-bacterial supplement that can disable and incapacitate E. coli bacteria
7. Vitamin C – It never hurts to boost the immune system.
8. Drink plenty of water